Saturday, November 21, 2009

Best Winter Soup EVER

Jack's mother taught me this recipe, and it's a hugehugehuge hit in my house. I make it by the stockpot, freeze it, and we eat it all winter :)

Best Black Bean Soup

1 med onion, finely chopped
3 carrots, thinly sliced (we used less, and chopped them)
2 celery stakls, thinly sliced (I diced them)
4-6 cloves garlic (we used the equivalent of 6, minced from a jar)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp basil (dried)
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp tabasco sauce (we omitted this)
2 16oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed (we drained one and not the other)
1 14.5oz can crushed tomatoes (we used 2, plus 1/2 can water)
2 14.5oz cans chicken (or veggie) broth

1/2 cup cooked rice

Put all ingredients (except rice) in crock pot. Cook on high 4-6 hours or Low 8-10 hours. Add cooked rice 10-15 mins before serving.

Try tortilla chips, sour cream, and/or cheese on top- I used all 3, and it was WONDERFUL.

No comments:

Post a Comment