Sunday, June 28, 2009

Peaches!

I bought 5lbs of fresh Georgia peaches at Whole Foods, and promptly went to work on them.

First, I started on peach butter.
I took about 3.5lbs of the peaches and cut them up, dumping them into my smaller stockpot, set on low.
After about an hour, they were nice and mushy, at which point I added 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 1/2tsp of pumpkin pie seasoning.
Another 30 minutes, splashes of grapefruit and orange juices, and about 1/2 cup of Sugar in the Raw, and more cooking down (uncovered now).

Another 2 hours or so of cooking down, and when I remove the spoon the butter clings, rather than running off.
Perfect.

It's a little tart, still, perfect with sweet buttermilk biscuits in the morning.

I won't try to tell you how to can it, since I never can do it correctly (all of ym fruit butters come with a label reading "Please refrigerate, not properly canned)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment